Landing Forums Live Session Discussions vulnerability

Live Session Discussions

Topic: vulnerability - Sundar Naga Started 8 years, 2 months ago

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
Posted 8 years ago

I can probably start with any of the three chapters. I guess I will start with Idol Worship.

As a brief background, the following are some quotes from the beginning of the chapter before I quote the passage involving the term ‘vulnerable’. The following are in boldface in the book. “The idol that most people worship every day and every night is an image inside themselves of what they think they are, or what they think they should be.” “The function of idol worship is to avoid living your life directly and fully. Idol worship places a screen between you and your experiences.” “An idol worshiper ignores her inner signals and acts as she thinks she should act.Those inner signals are her emotions.”

Next is the quote of the paragraph where the term ‘vulnerable’ is used. Actually it is on p. 202 itself, which I didn’t indicate in the previous post, as I had not noticed it earlier (and is not referenced in the index).

“Idol worship justifies disregarding what you feel. If an emotion does not fit the role you think you must play – the idol you worship – you attempt to substitute an emotion you think you should feel. If the role you play is Ideal Father, for example, you will not let yourself feel VULNERABLE. Your love for your family will express itself in what you provide for them. Emotions that do not fit your image of what an Ideal Father, or provider, should feel will be pushed aside. Playing the role of Ideal Father is how you push them aside.”

The question arises: What does the term ‘vulnerable’ mean in the above statement?

I will share my thoughts in the next post. Comments from the spiritual partners are heartily welcome.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

In my previous post I had the following quote from the Heart of the Soul (p. 202). “Idol worship justifies disregarding what you feel. If an emotion does not fit the role you think you must play – the idol you worship – you attempt to substitute an emotion you think you should feel. If the role you play is Ideal Father, for example, you will not let yourself feel VULNERABLE.”

The last sentence seems to me to mean that I should let myself feel vulnerable and it is not correct if I don’t. I elaborate below with my own example.

My daughter is turning 36 near the beginning of next month and lives with her own family, and my son is turning 34 near the end of this month and lives with his own family (I turned 65 last November and am living with my wife of 37 years). When the children were young, I didn’t know any of Gary’s teachings. I try to rewind now, especially in light of the above passage.

I guess my lp’s were active then, to use Gary’s language, and I wanted to raise them well, which was fine. However, I didn’t know that I was also vulnerable, meaning I didn’t know that the fp’s my soul brought with me in this lifetime could also be active and in fact would be active and would attempt to overpower the lp’s. I didn’t know that the expectation in the Earth school is that I should discover those fp’s, challenge them and replace them with the lp’s my soul brought with me, which I should discover and nourish, both constituting my spiritual growth. I didn’t realize that I was tricked by an fp into thinking that I was playing the role of an Ideal Father and into feeling justified that my shouting in anger at the children whenever they did what I didn’t want them to was a mark of an Ideal Father.

In Gary’s words on pp. 202 and 203, I used a role, the role of Ideal Father, to create my sense of self-worth. I was an idol worshiper in order to feel powerful, safe, admired, and valuable. Instead of exploring the pain of powerlessness, I pretended it was not there as long as I followed the rules that I adopted as an Ideal Father. I worshiped this idol in order to divert the attention away from the pain brought by the fp’s and their tricks. In other words, I never let myself feel vulnerable, which I should have in order to spiritually grow.

Do I make sense? Do I correctly interpret Gary and Linda’s use of the term vulnerable in the above quote? Am I missing something?

Doug and other spiritual partners, I deeply appreciate comments and thoughts.

With love and respect,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Next, Gary describes how he was a worshiper of a Daredevil idol (pp. 205-207, The Heart of the Soul). His reference is to his enlisting in the U. S. Army, his becoming a paratrooper, an officer, and then an officer in the Green Berets.

He says: “That made me, in my opinion, the elite of the elite. I was not looking beyond my opinion of myself. I did not have the courage to do that. I felt that my exciting life made me the envy of men, admirable to women, and valued by all.”

Then comes the reference to vulnerable and vulnerability. He says: “I was reaching for love in a convoluted way. I set up barriers against rejection by proving to myself in advance, and I thought to others, that I was worthy of acceptance whether they rejected or accepted me. I did not have the ability to feel my VULNERABILITY. In fact, my VULNERABILITY was driving me to do everything, including enlisting in the army. I desperately needed to demonstrate that I was not VULNERABLE. I attempted to become inhumanly perfect. In the process, I eliminated any possibility of genuine relations.”

Here also, as in the one I indicated in my previous post, Gary seems to say that one should have the ability to feel one’s vulnerability and that he didn’t have that ability.

Gary follows the above with the statement: “Being frightened is a part of the human experience. It lies beneath every impulse to grow spiritually – to find the roots of fear and pull them.” He continues: “I was too frightened of being frightened to admit my fear.”

The first of the above two statements seems to conform with what I indicated in my previous post as his implication of the term vulnerable. I need to know that I am vulnerable, meaning that the fp’s my soul brought with me in this lifetime will be active and will attempt to overpower my lp’s. (Gary says on p. 205 that he also liked the image of his motivation for joining the military being love of country. I think it is a role played by an lp.) My feeling vulnerable is recognizing the expectation in the Earth school that I should discover my fp’s, challenge them and replace them with the lp’s my soul brought with me, which I should discover and nourish, both constituting my spiritual growth.

Gary goes on to say: “This is the life a Daredevil inhabits. He fears his emotions and strives to create an emotionless world of continual admiration for himself. He becomes an idol to himself as well as others. He cannot allow into his awareness emotions such as fear of rejection, lack of worthiness, or VULNERABILITY that do not fit his picture of himself. He strives for ever more difficult or dangerous accomplishments in order to continually prove himself worthy of love.”

He seems to me to imply by vulnerability the state of my being aware of the Grand Design of the Universe regarding the Earth school according to which (i) my soul has brought with me certain fp’s in this lifetime, (ii) I should realize therefore that I am vulnerable and be willing to feel the fp’s, (iii) on the other hand, these fp’s are tricky and cunning and would tempt me into some or other idol worship to divert my attention from my feeling them, (iv) although the fp’s make me feel so frightened and induce in me the fear of rejection and lack of self-worth, I am really not susceptible to any attack or injury, that is, I am really not vulnerable as my five-sensory perception dictates, which I think Linda implied at the beginning of the live call, (v) my life experiences are opportunities meant by the Universe to help me discover these fp’s and challenge them and change them with the lp’s that my soul has also brought with me in this lifetime, and (vi) I am not susceptible to attack or injury, that is, I am not vulnerable in the five-sensory meaning of the term, as long as I allow only my lp’s to be active in my life in the Earth school.

Do I make sense? Do I correctly interpret Gary and Linda’s use of the term vulnerable, vulnerability? Am I missing something?

Doug and other spiritual partners, I deeply appreciate comments and thoughts.

With love and respect,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Sundar,

What I think I am noticing in your writings is a FPP that wants to understand and get it right, intellectualize rather than feel. Maybe you could challenge the FPP and scan each of your energy centers and feel what is happening in them.

With love, Patrice

Posted 8 years ago

Sundar,

I see a great light shining through in one of your recent post. What I see is you are beginning to turn your searching and your questions inward and reflecting on your own life, your own actions, and beginning to question was that my loving part or was that actually a frightened part of my personality that had me treating my family the way that I did. I cannot express the joy I feel for you as you get to the heart of your spiritual journey.

Yes indeed our frighten parts are active, in fact for me they are active most of the time. And again you are spot on that it is our duty during our time in the Earth School to learn to recognize when our thoughts, our words, and our actions are actually being controlled by those frightened parts of our personality. But the new challenge is how to recognize these frightened parts are active and how to act in a loving way even though they are active.

I have always loved that I was a “thinker”, I loved deep thought and complex ideas. I have spent most of my life pursuing spiritual growth through my reading and detail studies. I suspect it is why I am so magnetically drawn to you, I think we see our worlds in similar ways. But lately I have found that my thinking, my logic, my postulates, my interest in the meaning of words were actually distracting me from the task at hand which is to recognize my frightened and loving parts. I love the way Gary starts The Heart of the Soul with a quote from his Sioux Uncle who told he and Linda that the longest journey we will make in our lives is from our heads to our hearts. I am just beginning to comprehend the magnitude of that statement.

For me emotional awareness feels like a foreign language. I want logical rules, I long for patterns to look for, I want an intellectual way to explain this and define what I am searching for. But alas the way to my soul is through my heart, but the Universe has been gracious enough to provide me my emotions as guiding clues to what is going on with me. This is why your post was so uplifting to me, because I felt you stopped for a moment and reflected on you and that is so amazingly beautiful.

Sundar I would like you to consider joining me and so many other spiritual partners in Portland later this summer at The Journey to Soul event. I went for the first time last summer and it was a great help to me in learning what emotional awareness really is. Clearly my journey did not end there and I have many many more things to learn and practice, but it was an amazing start for which I am very grateful.

With Love,

Doug

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Doug,

Thank you so much for your kind and loving post.

I owe you a lot since it was the two examples you shared in your response to my earlier questions that allowed me to think further and make some important connections. They helped me tremendously to figure some possible answers to the important questions I had with respect to Gary and Linda’s concept of vulnerability. I realize I have to check directly with Gary and Linda whether my connections are correct or incorrect.

Thank you so much again.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Patrice, Luz, Tim, Doug (and David, Kristen),

I completely respect all your opinions. I humbly beg to differ. Please allow me to explain why.

Gary and Linda point out in the chapter on Personality in the Mind of the Soul the following:
my personality = body + emotions + 5-sensory perceptions + intellect + multisensory perceptions + intuitional structure

In other words, it is probably wrong to focus all the attention on emotions only, although emotions are no doubt very very important. The others listed above are also important. One conclusion I have come to from the above is that it might actually be wrong to raise the question as to whether ‘intellect’ is an fp. Fp has to do with emotion, and intellect is not an emotion. The two play entirely different roles, but equally important roles in the Earth school, I think.

The story of Gary’s is simply mind-boggling to me. Originally when he graduated from Harvard, he was not into science or math. Listening to the discussions on ‘the nature of reality’ during a lecture at Berkeley made him get interested in quantum theory and theory of relativity. To understand these in depth one has to first know calculus. I can easily imagine the kind of efforts he must have taken to go deep into both theories at an intellectual level. The intellect involved there cannot be ignored at all in my humble opinion.

And, the connections he made between what science conveys about the nature of reality and what this spiritual life in the Earth school might all be about, as revealed originally in the Dancing Wu Li Masters and then in the Seat of the Soul must have required a lot of intellectual exercise on his part, along with his attention to emotions and along with the intuitions that he was open to.

I don’t remember in which book and where, but I really think Gary points out that a proper balance between heart and head is crucial. If I am correct, I take it to mean that focusing on head alone is not at all enough and focusing on heart alone is not enough either. A proper mix of the two is essential for spiritual growth. Isn’t it true that after we pay attention to the physical sensations, we have to correctly analyze and understand the connections between our actions and/or words and the fp’s or lp’s that our physical sensations point to?

I honestly believe that Gary’s video on serenity prayer released recently is in answer to the question I sent online. (I am not 100 % sure because I don’t think I asked whether he knew the serenity prayer. But, other than that, the words he read were basically mine. So, I am assuming nobody else sent exactly the same question although it is possible.) If so, that gives me the confidence that he does answer the questions sent online (those who read this thread might recall that I did ask for helpful suggestion in this regard). Since my question regarding vulnerability is so critical to me in my understanding of his teachings and my applying them further and further in my life, I do plan on asking him the question. After I clicked the Submit button for my latest post in this thread, it occurred to me that the first meaning of vulnerability I was referring to could be the meaning from the multisensory point of view, while the second meaning is the one from the five-sensory point of view. I would like to know whether this is correct or not. And, I believe it is safe for everyone if I stop discussing my questions in this community forum.

Doug, yes, I would indeed love to be a participant of Gary and Linda’s programs except for two factors. One is that during the regular academic semester I cannot leave town as I never ever like to skip any of the classes I teach. So, if the program requires attendance in March, etc., I cannot make it. The second is that to me these programs are pretty expensive. It is hard for me to afford. Yet, I do want to participate at some point of time, since I really love to see and long for seeing this amazing man and interact personally with him. I hope I do get an opportunity one day.

With love and respect,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Sundar,

The Journey to the Soul is a standalone event that will occur July 17th – July 21st this year. There is a link at the top of the page with the details. Last year I attended the “Journey” after first discovering and reading The Seat of the Soul in March 2015. It was very out of character for me to seek out a “spiritual” event like the Journey and it took me a great deal of courage to venture into the unknown and to spend my money in that way. It took courage because I was afraid in so many ways. I can’t really explain the intuition I had about following my heart and not my head, but it just was something I had to do for my soul.

I am not skilled enough at language to explain the richness of my experiences at “The Journey” or the value of spending so much time with Gary and Linda, and all the others who like me challenged their fears to come as well. I really can’t tell you what to expect as it likely has everything to do with your intention for being there but I am certain everyone who attends learns something about themselves that will be of great value in their spiritual growth. That was my experience.

With love,

Doug

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Doug,

Thank you so much for sharing the information. I really appreciate it. I can easily imagine the richness of the experiences for everyone, which I have longed for also. Hoping to see you at a program at some point in the future.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

In case any spiritual partner could not make it to the recent live call by Gary and Linda on spring cleaning, I like to share here, with a totally loving intention, the following question I asked them.

“Let us say that someone reads your Seat of the Soul, Heart of the Soul, Mind of the Soul and Spiritual Partnership. He starts to feel that the contents seem to make sense. So, he wants to analyze them deeper and understand them well enough to apply them in the Earth school. Does such a feeling originate in fear and is it something that needs to be spring-cleaned?”

Although Linda could not hear me well enough (I think due to my phone not functioning right), she got the gist of my question and answered it very well, I thought. Probably it is better for those who were present during the call to contribute here how they understood Linda’s response.

If I understood it right, Linda and Gary wrote the books just so that others could analyze and understand the contents and apply them in their lives. Yes, as Linda emphasized it so well, it is not enough to analyze and understand the ideas and stop there; it is very important to apply the ideas in life. I can assure Patrice (and others) that it is the very reason I want to analyze and understand Gary’s teachings; I have been trying a lot to apply them in my life. There is no question of my being right ever or needing to be right ever. What is important to me is that I do understand Gary’s teachings right before I can successfully apply them in my life (I do realize how far my analysis and understanding have taken me in my life; I can outright state that such a growth would have been impossible but for my coming into contact with Gary’s books). I assume that would be the case with almost everybody else.

While discussing the spring cleaning of the fp’s, Gary said during the live call that there is a reason for the fp’s being there. I could immediately make a connection between this statement and his statements on vulnerability that I have been trying to understand (which I discussed earlier in this thread). There is one more topic in the Heart of the Soul that I have not yet shared here, where I see the above connection to be especially strong. I like to share it in my next post.

One of the spiritual partners pointed to the complexity and richness of the topic of vulnerability earlier in this thread. I totally agree with that spiritual partner that it is so complex and rich. May genuine discussions with a balanced mix from both our head and heart continue here so that they benefit us all!

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

In the chapter on Intimacy in the Heart of the Soul, Gary says:
“Intimacy is the measure of the energy that leaves your energy system in love and trust.”
“The experience of intimacy is not related to how others act or do not act, or how they speak or do not speak. It depends on how energy leaves your energy system.”
“When energy leaves your processing system in love and trust, the result is the experience of intimacy.”

Gary then says on pp. 113 and 114 the following that is related to this specific thread that aims to understand the concept of vulnerability:
“Intimacy requires VULNERABILITY. Being VULNERABLE does not require that you share every feeling of insecurity you have with another person or with anyone. It requires that you feel your every experience of insecurity. If you cannot feel your own insecurities, you will not be able to see them in others, much less appreciate them in others.”

Intimacy requires vulnerability! Wow!!

How to analyze and understand this statement?

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Sundar,

The challenge for me many times has been that even after I have completed my analysis, read all the references to the key word I have been led to, pondered and even meditated on what it could mean to me and my state, I still lacked something that i thought I would find during my research. Deep down I thought I would find freedom at the end of my studies. I want to change my habitual behavior’s so they are consistently loving instead of consistently frightened. Gary and Linda’s books and recording give me wonderful insight as to what is going on. They answer in many cases the “why” question. Why does this work this way, why do I respond that way, why am I not able at that moment to act differently. I mistakenly thought that if I only knew the “why” to my questions I would be transformed. My new knowledge would somehow set me free because I knew why I was doing what I did not want to do. But I am coming to realize that the new knowledge is simply a collection of tools, keys, maps, and techniques that I must use on my journey in the Earth School.

For me I can see that becoming emotionally aware, sensitively tuned into what my body is trying to tell me is a part of me that is undeveloped. Until I read The Seat of the Soul I never knew it was important to my spiritual growth. Through my analysis I have significantly more understanding of why emotional awareness is valuable, how to use it, and how to improve my use of it. But, like all skills, until I put it into practice it does not improve. So I have been practicing, all be it awkwardly.

Perhaps you and I can share our experiences with emotional awareness together so we can support each other through this particular class in the Earth School.

With Love,

Doug

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Doug,

Thank you so much for sharing.

“I mistakenly thought that if I only knew the “why” to my questions I would be transformed. My new knowledge would somehow set me free because I knew why I was doing what I did not want to do.”
I completely agree with you that such a thought would indeed be a mistake. The new knowledge is not the end of the process, it is just the beginning of the process, but an inevitable, critical beginning of the process, meaning that without such a beginning there is no question of proceeding further with the process effectively and efficiently, and then reaching the end. In fact, without such a beginning, the process could even be going in the opposite direction, namely the situation getting worse and worse, which is obviously not desirable.

“But I am coming to realize that the new knowledge is simply a collection of tools, keys, maps, and techniques that I must use on my journey in the Earth School.”
Yes, indeed. It is a collection of tools, keys, maps and techniques, no doubt. But, without those, the journey in the Earth school might only be painful all the time. That is how important properly analyzing and understanding all those tools, etc. happen to be, to start with.

“Until I read The Seat of the Soul I never knew it was important to my spiritual growth.”
Exactly. That says it all. Actually, it is not just reading it that is important, but analyzing and understanding its contents properly, as you yourself point out in your next sentence:
“Through my analysis I have significantly more understanding of why emotional awareness is valuable, how to use it, and how to improve my use of it.”

“like all skills, until I put it into practice it does not improve. So I have been practicing, all be it awkwardly.”
You said it very well. I totally agree with the significance of practicing it. In fact, that is what the above beginning should lead to.

Thus, in my humble opinion, the relevant point here is that such a practice with the heart is not possible before the head plays its significant role of analyzing and understanding the why and how of things. During this inevitable and critical process of analyzing and understanding, a number of different questions ought to arise. And, when we raise such questions, if we assume that it is the result of fp’s, we are not going to be able to proceed. Thus it can be very misleading. This is the point I have been trying to make in this thread. So, you and I are not saying different things; we are saying the same thing.

“Perhaps you and I can share our experiences with emotional awareness together so we can support each other through this particular class in the Earth School.”
Thank you so much for stating this. My thought has been to illustrate my analysis and understanding of Gary’s statement, “intimacy requires vulnerability”, using my own life experience as an example. I will do it in my next post. Looking forward to your comments, as well as comments from other spiritual partners of course.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Doug,

After I submitted my previous post, the following occurred to me, which I thought of sharing before writing the post on the illustration of ‘intimacy requires vulnerability’.

Yesterday I happened to notice the following quote on the back cover of The Heart of the Soul, which I had underlined. Gary says (as you pointed out in an earlier post of yours):
“The longest journey that you will make in your life is from your head to your heart.”

I am wondering whether the above quote is meant to imply that the journey always starts with the head, namely analyzing and understanding the why’s and how’s, and after that can easily go to the heart for actually practicing emotional awareness. It probably doesn’t imply that we have to ignore the head totally and pay attention only to the heart. It probably implies that staying at the level of the head alone is not the right thing to do. And, the quote obviously points to how hard it is to make such a travel from the head to the heart since it is the longest journey.

I could be easily wrong in my interpretation of the above statement by Gary. So, it might be a good question to ask him and get his clarification.

I don’t know whether you could make it to the live call on spring cleaning this past Saturday. From what I understood Linda to say in response to my question (which I have shared in an earlier post), she and Gary wrote the books so that people could analyze and understand the why’s and how’s, and then apply and practice in life what is learned.

Incidentally, I happen to be a professor who encourages the students like anything to ask without any hesitation at all whatever questions they might have during their attempts to understand what they are supposed to learn. It is very hard for me to imagine that they are controlled by their fp’s and that they should have painful physical sensations whenever they ask questions. I can easily imagine what painful sensations they would have when they are not allowed to ask such questions (by assuming that they are controlled by their fp’s). I don’t think I can ever dare prevent them from asking questions.

I am writing this only to clarify my stand on this. Of course, I heartily welcome convincing and constructive comments from the spiritual partners if I happen to be wrong in any of the above. (I would prefer not to respond to any post that suggests that I must have had fp’s active as I wrote this.)

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

I wrote in the previous post: “(I would prefer not to respond to any post that suggests that I must have had fp’s active as I wrote this.)”

I should add the following:
I would prefer not to respond to any post that suggests that I must have had fp’s active as I wrote this, without clearly explaining what statements of mine point to such a possibility and, if possible, how so.

I think that this is very important. After seeing the potential of Gary’s teachings in my own life, I often try to help others see it also. In the process I have come to understand that being a spiritual partner is not an easy thing at all. It is not just a question of my telling the other person that he or she appears to have an fp active. I think it is important to be as clear as possible to point out why and how I think so. This gives the other person an opportunity to analyze further whether I could be correct in my supposition or not, because there is no guarantee that I have to be correct.

The real danger is when my supposition actually happens to be wrong. I just tell the other person to check whether an fp is active without further explaining why and how I suppose so. The other person assumes that I am correct whereas I am actually wrong in my supposition. This can only lead to a lot of confusion on his or her part. Dangerous, I think.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.