Landing Forums General Discussion Sharing a poem

General Discussion

Topic: Sharing a poem - Cindy Started 11 years, 8 months ago

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Posted 12 years ago

I just finished reading Mitch Albom’s book, ” have a little faith”. It is a good rainy day’s read about what Mitch learns from cultivating a relationship with his childhood rabbi. His rabbi is accepting of people’s of all faiths as well as being accepting of all people. The book also talks about what Mitch learns from a pastor of a church which ministers to the homeless. I had many hours to spend the other day at the former home of my now deceased parents while washing many loads of my clothes. It was raining out and so I enjoyed some hot tea and this great little book. I wanted to share a poem by Robert Browning Hamilton that was shared by Mitch on page 176 of his book.
I walked a mile with Pleasure; She chatted all the way; But left me none the wiser For all she had to say. I walked a mile with Sorrow And ne’er a word said she; But, oh! The things I learned from her, When Sorrow walked with me. Hope you have a loving and learning day! Cindy

Posted 12 years ago

Hi Cindy:

Thanks for the poem! I really enjoyed it! It resonated with me because I feel that even though I have been going through some experiences that can be perceived as sorrowful, I also am feeling the great learning that has come from these experiences and I am most grateful for the healing I am going through right now. Deb

Posted 12 years ago

Deb, Thank you for your response. I am in a time of great transition in my life right now along with some of those closest to me. Sometimes I meet with sorrow as well through these times but I am learning that my responses really need to be measured by my heart because I know that how I respond through these times will define the future not just for myself but also for those closest to me. It is a great responsibility to be sure but actually so is all of my life. This week at work I have been trying to pay attention to what I am saying to people as I say it. I work with older people in assisted living and often the staff can get frustrated with the personalities of the folks whom we serve. In becoming more aware of what I’m saying as I say it it has occurred to me that perhaps I can use opportunities to kind of guide myself and other staff members to be more tolerant and understanding and empathetic with our residents. I really believe that we need to uphold their integrity when we speak about them and to remember that our workplace is their homeplace. So I hope that by practicing this at work that I will begin to do more of this in my personal life too—the paying attention to what I’m saying as I’m saying it. I think maybe what that means is that I’m learning to choose my intention by discerning my thoughts as they come to me. I will have to pay attention to my body as well. So thank you, I appreciate you thoughts.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.