Landing Forums Intention Resolving apparent conflict

Intention

Topic: Resolving apparent conflict - Doug Brown Started 7 years, 10 months ago

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Posted 8 years ago

Two nights ago I was walking my dog and a neighbors German Shepherd bolted into the street and attacked my dog. My neighbor rushed out to stop his dog but the attack injured both he and I and my dog ended up in surgery and with a lot of stitches. My dog and I left the scene with my neighbor on his back in the street holding his dog. The violence and trama was intense but as we quickly headed home I felt an unusual calm and reflection. I was automatically it appeared watching my life movie and noticing my reactions and feelings even though I felt the adrenalin in my body. It seemed odd for me to be so detached in such an emotional moment.

I quickly knew I would need to meet my neighbor to resolve this issue. My frightened parts want to please and avoid conflict and I felt fear in my chest thinking about what our meeting could be. But I challenged those thoughts and reminded myself to living in the present moment and not in the future my fears wanted to project. I set an intention for reverence for life, his dog’s life, and for cooperation. Leah and I met our neighbor the next evening. He showed concern for our dogs recovery and agreed to our request that he put his dog in an intensive rehab program. Now for me it is important that I not become attached to the outcome. I am carefully watching my thoughts and energy centers. I think a 100% of the advice friends and other neighbors provided was fear based and filled with anger, threats, and punishment.

While I am very familiar with my conflict avoiding pleaser frightened part I feel my intention was to ask for a resolution that helped his dog and created a foundation of a loving relationship with a neighbor who like me has used poor judgement. It was not my intention to punish him. What he does next is his karma and what I do next is mine. My intention is to learn about myself through this.

As you read this what were you thinking and feeling about yourself?

With love,

Doug

Posted 8 years ago

Hi Doug,
As I read this I went through memories and emotions of having my own dog attacked by another dog and then also experiencing the opposite when my dog attacked my neighbors! Having been on both sides I understand how a loving response to the situation is difficult but sooooo needed. The fear and judgement that I experienced both times was overwhelming to me from within myself and my neighbors. I think your choice to extend a positive, loving solution and to revere life was AWESOME and not easy to do (and I’m not just saying that from my pleasing fp).. πŸ˜‰ It is a good reminder that I can choose love in the face of fear.

With love,
Steph

Posted 8 years ago

Steph,

As I walked from the attack with a bleeding hand and my heart racing I could not help noticing I was watching myself like I was watching a movie of this event. It was a new experience for me and that detachment helped me keep a more “calm in the storm” perspective. I really don’t know if it was a moment of grace or the result of my practicing being reflective of my thoughts and actions. I do recall reeling my thoughts in several times as they tried to run ahead an imagine some gloom and doom future. I would remind myself to just stay present, it is better for me here in this moment doing what I can.

In your moment of greatest fear in your example do you recall where your thoughts were taking you?

With love, Doug

Posted 8 years ago

Dear Doug,

Thank you so much for sharing this incident. I have never had this kind of experience. I am not a dog owner although my neighbors happen to be. But, like Stephanie I also feel that “your choice to extend a positive, loving solution and to revere life was AWESOME and not easy to do”.

With love and trust,
Sundar

Posted 8 years ago

Hi Doug,
Thank you for asking me that. It really got me thinking and a few things came up. First, I think grace is pouring out upon you!! What a moment! It very much validated your work (practicing being reflective of your thoughts and actions/staying in the present moment) by giving you the chance to practice making these choices in THE life school. It is fascinating to me that you were experiencing it yet also watching yourself experience it. It is as if this moment was meant to give you a new perspective..a different perspective of yourself. Did it?

I remember the moment my dog was attacked very clearly, and it did seem as if it happened in slow motion. After the dog attacked I reached down and picked up my dog and yelled until I scared the attack dog away. I have to say I think every piece of me was feeling extreme love and fear at the same time. I don’t think without the huge amount of fear that I could have acted with the huge amount of love to protect my dog. Isn’t that an interesting duality?

A memory came up when you asked me about my moment of greatest fear even though I knew you were talking about the dog attack but I want to share it because it also relates to seeing yourself from a diff perspective. Probably the most powerful experience of my life was when I had an out of body experience and saw myself from outside myself. I was overcome by what I can only describe as the most amazing light and love. I have never felt love so deeply. Then I had the chance to choose this light/love but instead I turned away and chose fear because even though I was immersed in love I was terribly frightened by the experience of being “outside myself” . The realization later that I wanted to choose love not fear literally changed my course in life.

In a way, in both the dog attack and the out of body experience, I am grateful for the fear because it propelled me to love. Do you relate to this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.