Landing Forums General Discussion Elementary School Tragedy

General Discussion

Topic: Elementary School Tragedy - Started 11 years, 5 months ago

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Posted 11 years ago

I was shocked, angry, saddened, hurt when I heard the use. This is why I am personally so committed to doing the work of growing in authentic power. It is because as I heard Gary and Linda say so many times that all change begins with oneself. When I heard and hear tragic news it reinforces for me the need for me to grow in love and challenge all my FPs. And hopefully me growing in authentic power will impact others who are attracted by it as I was long ago by Gary’s work.

My prayers are with all the souls that left us today. Many of them had a very short duration here in the Earth School but my heart feels that their lives will help transform our world to become a more loving place.

I am grateful to part of such a loving community.

With love,
Eric

Posted 11 years ago

I am reminded of this prayer.
Lord (Universe, Divine Intelligence, God, Higher Power, ___________)
Make me an instrument of peace.
Where there is hatred, love.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.

Posted 11 years ago

Eric, the spiritual partner, you have said it very well. This is reason enough why we should be personally very committed to doing the work of growing in authentic power.

The other day I received, as all the other spiritual partners should have, Gary’s fantastic message regarding this incident, “Pulling the root of violence”. He raises a critical question there and answers it beautifully: “How to prevent yet more unpredictable killings in more schools, theaters, and malls by more unpredictable suicidal murders? Some say more gun control. Some say more school security. Some say more care for the mentally ill. Others say our culture of violence – violent movies, violent games, violent language – is the cause. Almost no one says, “Look inside ourselves.”” What seems to be of concern is Gary’s valid observation: “almost no one says”.

I happened to read Gary’s Seat of the Soul only in my late forties. I used to be a very, very angry person who would just shout like anything while being angry (yes, when I look back on it, it was just crazy). After I started to understand Gary’s work I have been trying to apply it in my own life. I definitely see gradually more and more fruitful results occurring. This has led me to often think: I wish I had known this when I was young.

In turn, I often think that all of today’s children should be told, taught (or whatever) Gary’s amazing work in a form suitable to them. I don’t know how the other spiritual partners look at this. I don’t even know whether this is a suitable topic to be discussed in this forum. Just thought of sharing.

With loving intentions,
Sundar

Posted 11 years ago

Sundar,

I teach and counsel children at an elementary school, and I wanted you to know that I consciously use the tools and concepts Gary and Linda write about in whatever ways I can in working with these children, and my co-workers. Thank-you for bringing your consciousness to your work with your students, as well.

Love,
Kelley

Posted 11 years ago

Kelley,

Thank you, spiritual partner, for what you do and for sharing it. While you seem to deal with one end of the spectrum, I happen to deal with kind of the other end of the spectrum. I happen to teach chemical thermodynamics and quantum chemistry to chemistry majors at a university. I thought I would share here some interesting experience of mine just recently.

I will try not to delve into too many scientific details. Yet, as a quick background, the intention being to help make a connection, it so happens that a theory called the thermodynamic theory postulates two fundamental properties for everything in Nature in order to explain all of the various processes that take place in Nature, that we observe in Nature. These two fundamental properties postulated are (internal) energy and entropy. With the help of these two properties (along with three other what are called “convenience variables”) we have been able to understand the mysterious working of Nature really, really well. In fact, all natural processes are understood well on this basis. In order to drive home the point, I generally share with my students the following analogy made up by me.

“Imagine that some aliens happen to watch the human behaviors from above. In order to explain and understand the behaviors of humans in various given contexts, imagine that the “scientists” among these aliens postulate two fundamental properties for humans. That is, in order to rationalize the various kind and loving behaviors exhibited by humans (as, for example, displayed in the Making a Difference segment of NBC Nightly News), they postulate that humans possess the property of ‘love’. On the other hand, in order to rationalize the wars between nations, fights between various kinds of groups in a given nation, and quarrels among humans in a given family or a given community, they postulate that humans possess the property of ‘hatred’. Those “scientists” also elaborate on how these two properties compete with each other to various degrees in determining the actual behavior of a given human in a given context. In a similar way, we humans postulate (in the name of thermodynamic theory) the existence of the two fundamental state properties (also called state functions) internal energy U and entropy S for all substances (or systems made up of these substances) in order to rationalize and understand their properties and behaviors.” (Incidentally, a postulate is a statement that is *assumed* to be true. It is invoked for the sole purpose of explaining and understanding various statements that we know to be true through our own observations.)

I always used the term ‘hatred’ rather than ‘fear’ in the above analogy for a couple of reasons. One is that the students, in my opinion, will somewhat easily recognize hatred as the opposite of love. Another much more important reason is that I have really had a very hard time understanding why Gary came up with the term ‘fear’. After I read the Seat of the Soul (as well as the other books of his), I could easily understand his use of the term ‘love’, but I could not understand his use of the term ‘fear’. (In fact, during one of the calls in the current Authentic Power course through the Shift Network, I asked a question in relation to this and Gary beautifully answered it. I feel much better now.)

But, one interesting thing happened in the very beginning of just this past semester which ended a few days ago. One of the students (a very smart one) said something like: “I don’t know whether hatred is even the cause of everything happening. I really think it is greed.” I never heard a response of this kind in any of my classes before. I thought it was interesting. I did address it. I thought that he was reflecting on his own experiences which he felt forced to explain in terms of the greed on the part of the people in his life (after the semester ended, we both happened to have a conversation in a different context, but what he shared with me at that time seemed to support the idea that it is his experiences in life which forced him to invoke ‘greed’ as a factor explaining “everything”). I said, by way of responding to his beautiful remark, greed is just one of the many negative emotions we humans appear to suffer from. Then, I pointed out some of the other negative emotions from that beautiful list Gary has given in the Seat of the Soul. Next, I said, it appears that ‘fear’ is at the heart of all these negative emotions, while ‘love’ is at the heart of all the positive emotions such as … (again I pointed to a few from Gary’s list). I confessed that instead of saying fear, I say hatred since I feel it is easy for students to understand. (Well, the truth is also that I myself didn’t understand why and how exactly Gary came up with the idea that ‘fear’ is at the bottom of all these negative emotions.)

Immediately another student (a highly and respectfully religious one, as I have come to know him later) said that in the Bible verses love and fear often appear together. At that point, I moved on with the rest of my lecture. Later, he sent me an email quoting the following verse from the Bible: “1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.” I could not thank him enough. He is supposed to share with me other similar verses from the Bible where the two appear. Of course, I expected him to focus on the studies during the semester. I am looking forward to his sharing with me in the future.

Well, back to the original point of the discussion. I really wonder what other mechanism exists to address tragedies of this kind (which appear to be pretty prevalent now) than to tell or teach all the children of the Earth School Gary’s wonderful message in a form suitable to them. Gary himself admits that almost no one says “Look inside ourselves” while seriously addressing tragedies of this kind and the possible solutions to them. It is kind of scary. If any other spiritual partner thinks of any other mechanism, please share.

With loving intentions,
Sundar

Posted 11 years ago

Dear spiritual partners,

Along the lines of what I shared regarding the thermodynamic theory in the earlier post, I thought of sharing the following regarding the quantum theory that I teach. It is hard for me not to think in my own mind of a parallelism between the material, nanoscopic world addressed in quantum theory and the spiritual world we are all parts of. However, I don’t address this in my classes since I am not supposed to sound like a preacher or something of that sort. But, probably there is a way by which it can be introduced (as I write this, I just thought of the analogy approach as a possibility). In any case …

What is called “wave-particle duality” is at the very heart of quantum theory. Any entity (such as an electron, a proton, an atom or a molecule) in the nanoscopic world can behave like a particle, if that is what is suitable for the given context, or like a wave in another given context, if that is what is demanded of that entity in that context. In other words, an electron, for example, is neither a particle nor a wave, but something (namely an entity) that partakes of both these characteristics. Before the advent of quantum theory, these two characteristics were considered to be mutually exclusive, but quantum theory has forced us to tune our brains to an entirely new frequency.

Now, in my opinion and to the limited extent that I understand, there are two aspects of consciousness: individual consciousness and universal consciousness. We have a specific name for each individual consciousness in this Earth School, such as Sundar, Kelley, Eric, Gary, Linda, etc., etc. Each is like an individual particle. At the same time, each of these individual consciousnesses is expected, is required, depending on the given context, to partake of the characteristic of the universal consciousness that includes everybody, everything and God. All of it together is like a wave. In other words, to use Gary’s terms, the former, namely the individual consciousness, is the personality and the latter, namely the universal consciousness, is the Universe. On the surface, one might consider the individual consciousness and the universal consciousness of the spiritual world as mutually exclusive, as happened in the case of the material world in the pre-quantum-theory era regarding particle and wave, but it appears that they are not and they cannot be. If we assume these to be mutually exclusive, we will not have the beautiful explanations that Gary offers for our life experiences on this earth.

To extend the parallelism from the nanoscopic world of quantum theory into our spiritual world, there appear to be contexts in the Earth School in which each of us might be demanded to exhibit the individual consciousness. However, much more importantly, there also appear to be contexts in which each of us will have to partake of the characteristic of the universal consciousness. Thus, the given context seems to determine whether each of us behaves like a “particle” or a “wave”.

Obviously, I think, the suicidal murderer of a large mass of people is required to recognize that it is not a context in which he or she can act as a “particle” with an individual consciousness. The “selfishness” associated with the individual consciousness has no role to play there. It is a context that demands the recognition of a “wave” behavior with a universal consciousness, such that the person would simply not be able to murder all those so-called “other people” (that is, they are really not “other people”; he and they are just “one”). Do I make sense?

I was going to add here some more thoughts of mine. But, I realize my posts are getting too long (I apologize for the length of the previous post and this). I will add another post later. In the meantime, I can wait to know the thoughts of other spiritual partners.

With loving intentions,
Sundar

Posted 11 years ago

Sundar,

Your processing of this tragedy is profound. I do not understand, however, what you mean by “The ‘selfishness’ associated with the individual consciousness has no role to play there.” Do you mean to say that Adam Lanza did not choose to act in the manner that he did? Or are you simply making a clear connection between selfishness in the collective human consciousness as having played a role?

Thank-you for helping me to hear you.
Love,
Kelley

Posted 11 years ago

Kelley,

You are amazing. You caught me red-handed – I did rush through that last but one paragraph. This is not the first time this has happened to me; whenever I rush through something, I get stopped. Thank you, dear spiritual partner, for asking the questions.

I think the following pairs are equivalent: “fear and love”, “individual consciousness and universal consciousness”, “selfishness and selflessness (namely selfless service)”. If I am correct in borrowing a term from the language of quantum theory, then each of these is a “complementary pair” (please see below). When one focuses more on the individual consciousness rather than on the universal consciousness, or, in other words, when one allows fear (namely a frightened part) to control oneself rather than choose love, the result is that one is selfish rather than selfless. Accordingly, I happen to associate selfishness with individual consciousness. What I meant to say, I guess, is that the mass murderer’s focus is on his own individual consciousness, not on the universal consciousness; he is selfish and not selfless. Such selfishness has no role to play when it comes to his interaction with those others whom he decides to kill. I think it is another way of saying simply that he chooses fear instead of love.

If I may, I will try to slightly elaborate on the idea of complementary pair. In my previous post, I referred to wave-particle duality, a cornerstone of quantum theory. An immediate consequence of this wave-particle duality happens to be what is called the Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle (which is probably a popular one known to many who might not generally be into the sciences). This principle addresses different pairs of properties called “complementary observables”. Common examples of these pairs are position and momentum, and energy and time. One version of this general principle that is oft-cited has to do with the first pair: It is impossible to specify simultaneously, with arbitrary precision, both the momentum and the position of a particle.

In the pre-quantum-theory era (referred to as the classical mechanical era), humans supposed that the position and momentum of a particle could be specified or known simultaneously with any desired arbitrary precision. However, according to quantum theory, “we have to make a choice”. We can specify or know position at the expense of momentum, or momentum at the expense of position. If we want to know the exact position, we have to totally sacrifice our knowledge of momentum, and vice versa. And, the more we know about position, the less we know about momentum, and vice versa.

Isn’t it amazing that Gary’s key phrase appears in the above paragraph? We have to make a choice. Particle and wave themselves, at the very fundamental level, form a complementary pair. While dealing with the nanoscopic world, we are often forced to make a choice. We can either choose a context in which the given entity, such as electron, behaves like a particle, or another context in which it behaves like a wave.

In a similar way, it seems that in our spiritual world we have to deal with complementary pairs. We have to choose between fear and love. We have to choose between individual consciousness and universal consciousness. We have to choose between selfishness and selflessness. A mass murderer chooses fear rather than love; chooses individual consciousness rather than universal consciousness; chooses selfishness rather than selflessness.

I have probably not made it clearer than before, but muddier. It is just some random thoughts I am sharing here. I would really appreciate comments and questions. And, I really don’t know how the factor of mental illness fits into the whole equation. I never thought about it. I am very eager to learn what Gary’s take on it is (as far as I am concerned, Gary occupies the position of God in my heart; this is not an idol worship, but I honestly believe that his work is simply phenomenal and powerful, in that it can explain everything).

With loving intentions,
Sundar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.