Landing Forums How You are Creating Authentic Power Control myself or control my world?

How You are Creating Authentic Power

Topic: Control myself or control my world? - Jim Richardson Started 5 years, 8 months ago

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Posted 6 years ago

No one can actually control one’s world, however, my ego sure tries and even fantasizes that it can. I have spent my whole life trying to do it; trying to arrange my environment (controlling & manipulating circumstances and even sometimes people) in order to feel safe and comfortable.

Recently, because of my reading of Gary’s work, I have swung the pendulum to the place where I have come to believe that controlling MYSELF; no matter what goes on around me is what I need to do. This has created peace within that I have not known for a long time, perhaps never.

So, here’s my dilemma… my partner and I have struggled mightily in our nine month relationship. The struggle has come to a head several times as she reminds me how I originally portrayed myself to be more than I am and how she feels “jipped” because I am not “that” man.

So my question is, “When should someone ‘actually’ take control of one’s world and make changes in it?” I don’t want to run. I don’t want to be “five-sensory” and swap her out and look for another partner (someday) so I can “be happy”.

I see that I am a mirror to her (she is not enough) and I have compassion for her. Yet, I see that she is making herself miserable because of her beliefs about me. She needs me to change. I am changing, for sure, (largely because I am immersing myself in Gary and Linda’s work) and yet, it doesn’t seem to be enough.

I have stayed in the relationship. I want to learn more about myself. As she blames me for her upset, I focus on my emotions and where I feel them. I check my intentions. I react less often from my fear and, more and more often I remain quiet. I am, most definitely, growing into authentic power.

So, should I continue to stay? Or should I end and trade the “relationship pain” for the “pain of loss”? I feel both scenarios in my chest (tightness) and solar plexus (nausea) areas.

If you respond, I will assume that you are not a therapist. I will consider your perspective but not blame you for my decision.

Thank you for your perspective.

Posted 6 years ago

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the group, and Thank you for your beautiful sharing. You have already come so far, it is hard to believe you are a newbie! You are recognizing your feelings, feeling them in your body, creating detachment from your emotions…wow, that’s great progress.

Did you get a chance to listen in on the telephone call last Saturday? If not, the teaching is also posted on this website. They address this very question of should I stay or should I go. I’ll see if I can find and share the link in a bit.

If I may be so bold as to ask you a question:.
It appears that you think that taking control of your world means making a decision to stay or go. What other ways are there for you focus on your self, to gain control of your world? Are there choices/ changes you can make?

People in general change when they are ready. She will change when she is ready. And she may never change. But she has already given you the gift of bringing you here, where you can learn about your feelings. Your emotions. You modus operandi.

I hope this helps. Take care, and hope you keep sharing your journey and realizations, as we all learn from one another.

Posted 6 years ago

Hello Shefali,

Thank you for your insightful response to my question. I know that I do not want to “go”. I want to “grow”. And, this current situation is perfect for that intention!

Indeed, since posting yesterday, I have already begun to realize how I have show up here; how I have contributed to the dynamic. And, I can see it in many other areas of my life, not just in my past relationships.

So, I choose to not need to make a decision. I choose to learn what I can, while I can – for as long as I can.

Your post reaffirms this perspective and this intention. Thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Gratefully,

James (my higher self).

Posted 6 years ago

Here is the link to the teaching on this topic:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.