Landing Forums Responsible Choice Appreciating the Gift of Illness

Responsible Choice

Topic: Appreciating the Gift of Illness - David Started 10 years, 7 months ago

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Posted 11 years ago

I have had a cold/sinus infection for about 10 days now and am thankfully starting to get better. I did something different than I normally do when I get sick and decided to just accept it. (Usually I resist it). Accept the coughing, accepting not being able to sleep during a few nights. Accepting the fact that there’s work that won’t get done during the time I stayed home and when I did go to work that I only could do what I was able to do. No more, no less. I’m surprised at how peaceful and calm I have been feeling. In some ways, my experience has gone beyond the illness of the past few days and expanded to other areas of my life. No need to rush, or push or ‘make things happen’. I feel like I co-created this experience with the Universe by choosing a loving perspective to what was happening in my life.

~David

Posted 11 years ago

Hi David
Good to hear you are beginning to feel better. When you say that you usually “resist it” What does that mean? Do you pretend you are not sick? Ignore it? How does resistance work in this case?
Love
Lori

Posted 11 years ago

Hi Lori,

When I say that I sometimes “resist” being sick, I mean that I am indulging a frightened part of my personality that just doesn’t like being sick and wants the world to be different than the way it is. Sometimes the resistance comes in the form of entertaining obsessive thoughts, like when will this be over, I feel so lousy, etc. Another way I have resisted being sick is by indulging the frightened parts of my personality that like complaining to others about it as if they can somehow make it go away and distract me from my pain.

~David

Posted 11 years ago

Hi, for me resisting sicness is like being at war with it….fighting it by being upset about it, and yes complaining about it as well. I can actually feel by body so tense from the upset over the pain, it feels like I’m in a fight. I have been learning to do the same thing….just allow it, allow all the body sensations. …and accept what is there. I also wrap loving arms all around the parts that hurt, and just try and be with it. I’m not always able to do this, as there is fear happening. fear of more pain, or fear of not being able to do what I need to. Sometimes I’m succesful with it and sometimes not. When I am, I find that my body relaxes, and the healing seems much quicker, or the pain eases to where I can handle it.
thanks for your sharing, as right now I have alot of pain, and I haven’t been accepting it like I need and want to do, so I this was helpful to me…Judy

Posted 11 years ago

Thank you for sharing Judy.

I’m wondering if anyone else has any examples of frightened parts of your personality that ‘resist’ things in your life and how you’ve been challenging them.

~David

Posted 11 years ago

Hi David,

It is a very windy day today where I live. I took a walk and noticed I smiled as I walked briskly through the blowing fall leaves. In front of me was a person whose hand was over their face which looked like they were resisting the wind. I took the time to notice my energy centers and had an openness in my chest area and thoughts of gratitude for the fall season. This experience was new to me as in the past I would have indulged fps that complain about the wind, the end of summer, and the coming cold weather. I intend to cultivate this experience which for me represented an openess to life, and challenge fps that resisted the colder weather by choosing to also walk and engage in the upcoming cold weather.

Thank you, Soula.

Posted 11 years ago

Thank you for your beautiful sharing Soula.

~David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.