Landing Forums General Discussion Appreciate any spiritual support

General Discussion

Topic: Appreciate any spiritual support - Started 11 years, 7 months ago

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Posted 12 years ago

Hi,

I’m trying my best to navigate a situation with my brother and constantly finding it difficult to identify for me what it means to act out of love and not fear towards myself and him.

My brother calls me every single day. The usual intent behind his call is that he is feeling lonely. About 3 years ago he got divorced and is still adjusting to living on his own. At first, I felt that the most loving way I could act towards him was to take his call & have him over. And this is what happened for a while. He’d come over, I’d cooked and then we’d watch some tv. I felt good about being ‘so loving’ but started noticing a lot of physical pain; stomach, neck, chest. I could feel the resentment building. I felt like I was simply babysitting him. This continued for some while but a larger FP was terrified of saying something. I wasn’t exactly sure what to say. So, I acted from an FP and started ignoring his calls or making up excuses about not being able to get together.

Now, I can’t hide any longer. I must have a talk with him and going through the SP guidelines. The main issue here is what can I learn about myself? How can I grow from this?

He is not doing anything ‘wrong.’ He is doing what he feels is best for him to be doing. However, I am not sure what I am to say. I want to say;

“I feel angry when you call me everyday. I am not angry towards you but rather it is my anger. I feel that way because I feel like I will have to have you over or get together. I feel trapped. If I don’t want to get together I feel guilty. I want to create a relationship but not like the one we have been having.’

I am really open to any thoughts. Is this creating authentic power? Sometimes I feel like authentic power is loving everything at it is meaning that I should just let him come over every night and learn to accept it but another part of me feels that that can’t be it because I would not be honest about how I feel.

thx in advance.

much love,
Eric

Posted 12 years ago

Hi Eric,
Thanks for sharing. Do you ever remember having thoughts like this accompanied by the pain any other time besides with your brother? Sometimes when I focus on a situation it is difficult for me to release the attachment I might have and see what I can learn from what I have created.
Sending love
Lori

Posted 12 years ago

Thx Lori. What a wonderful question and I was reflecting on it for a few minutes right before my brother called. We are getting together tonight because I asked him if we can talk. I find the question wonderful because it seemed to immediately de-personal the experience. To consciously see what I have and have been creating in my life. To experience clearly that my brother is not the issue as an FP of mine would love to judge.

I would describe my experience of the situation as one where I feel as though I am being taken advantage of; of being used. I have had this experience before but get very confused. I tell myself that it matters not how I am treated but rather how I respond. And that I can not control another’s behavior. I become lost. On one hand I want to offer as much love as I can and on another I feel pain inside like I am betraying myself.

I feel somewhat confused now.

Posted 12 years ago

Update

I committed to using the spiritual guidelines and talking directly with my brother. Linda had asked which guideline we’d be focusing on and mine is Courage. So, I had set up a time to chat earlier this evening.

I was very, very afraid when we got together (stomach knots). I was not sure if I could talk to him about how I was feeling and what his reaction would be. However, I focused on what I could learn about myself and also shared that this has been a pattern that I noticed in me which I think helped de-personalize the experience for my brother as well. In the end, I shared how I wanted to help but had a FP that was unable to be clear about the limit to my support. Or rather that I had a FP that would care-take and wanted to start care giving. I did not use that language but expressed it similarly. And that is a very large FP in me. I often want to care-take.

I felt closer to my brother after the experience so that it was positive. But the experience did show me how deeply I have a tendency to care-take.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.